The word 'manicure' is derived from the Latin word 'manus' (meaning -hand) cure (care).
A manicure is a cosmetic beauty treatment for the fingernails and hands. A home manicure can treat just the hands, just the nails, or both. A standard manicure usually includes filing and shaping of the nails and the application of polish, but there are also speciality manicures, like: Salon Manicure, French Manicure, Spa Manicure. Treatments for hands usually include soaking in a softening substance and application of hand lotion.
Purpose of Manicure:
- Prevent hang - nail formation.
- Prevents nail damages like splits, tears, and fragile tips.
- The accompanying massage of the hands improve and increase the blood circulation, suppleness and flexibility of the hands and wrist.
- Discourages wrinkling of the skin on the hand, which is one of the first body part to show the sign of aging.
- Bowl of warm water or fingerbath
- Nail clippers
- Cuticle knife and clippers
- Cuticle pusher/Hoof stick
- Nail file/emery board, buffer, scissors, brush and other Manicure Tools
- Cuticle remover, oil and cream
- Massage lotion
- Nail polish
- Base coat polish & ridge filler polish
- Color varnish
- Top coat or sealant
- Nail polish remover or nail polish remover wipes
- Hand cream
- Sanitizing spray/towels
- Cotton balls/pads
- Hand towels